Play based learning research 2019


Reflection 1:

What was your reasoning for starting Play-based teaching and learning in your classroom?

In May 2016 the school was advertising for a teacher with play experience, so I applied and won the position.
The school is committed to learning through play.  We recognise that not all children start school ready for formal or instructional learning, and that play can support and develop skills children need to for formal learning.  One of the main areas of concern was (and to some extent continues to be), the age of oral language of children entering school (very low), and the impact an environment rich in play and language can have on a child with low oral language skills is very beneficial.
Where did you get your knowledge about Play-based teaching and learning from?
I am a qualified and experienced early years teacher, with 30 years in the ECE sector.
What issues/challenges have you faced when implementing this at your school?
Trying to balance expectations of formal learning alongside play has been very challenging for me.  At times I've felt like I've abandoned play in order to meet these requirements for children that are not ready for instructional reading and writing.  I think now that I have a better understanding of how children learn to read and write, I can plan and implement this much better through a play programme.

Class size and single cell classrooms are also a challenge.  Some days I feel that I'm not seeing any play ‘close up’, as I'm involved in other teaching tasks with small groups.  I often feel dissatisfied that I'm not able to coach or scaffold children's learning alongside them in their play. I end up making assumptions about what I think might be happening and this doesn't sit right with me.

Working out how to plan and implement a play programme alongside other teaching requirements of the school.  Play isn't something that just happens along the way; as an early year's teachers, I know the importance of planning and implementing a holistic play programme based on Te Whaariki.  This has been a huge challenge to work out how to do this. And I'm still on that journey!

Teacher education has been crucial, supporting others knowledge about play, what play means, (REALLY means!).  And all the components that are involved with play such as schemas, urges, dispositional learning, working theories, the environment as the third teacher, knowing the theorists such as Piaget, Bronfenbrenner, Vygotsky.  It is a huge challenge bringing other teachers on board with that essential knowledge.

A current issue/challenge for me is to see rich, authentic child-led play happen in other years, that it is not something that just happens for New Entrant children.

What difference do you think Play-based teaching and learning has for children’s learning and transitions?
I think overall it has made a positive impact on children.  

Transition to School:
Classrooms feel very similar to the environment the child has come from.  I sing songs and rhymes that children will know, which helps them to make connections between their ECE setting and school.  I am very flexible about visits - if a child needs more visits to adjust more about the idea of coming to school, then that's what we do.  As I often say, it's not only the child that is transitioning, it is the whole family, and when a child can come into play environment, connect with an interest and be engaged and happy, the family feel acknowledged too.
There are still things though that will be totally new for children, and will have to be experienced to know about, (eg not going outside when they want to), but with teachers there ready to support this it does make the transition easier.

Learning:
Learning is fun, it is context, is it authentic and relevant.  As a teacher, I can use my knowledge and experience of child development to gauge where a child is in terms of their learning and provide for this.  One absolute joy I have experienced is 6-year-olds! Last year I had a group of children who by the end of the year were 6 and a half. The rich play, how deep and wide it went, the level of problem-solving, the creativity that came from those children blew me away.  Having the opportunity to play at that level has to support learning in so many ways.

The challenge now is to see the opportunities for this sort of play to continue as the children move through the school.

Comments